Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Organization: FHE Lessons

I've been trying to find projects around my house that cost VERY little to no money that I can do to keep me busy. So I've been making a list of different projects that come to mind. Then, after a very stressful and "not fun" Family Night last week I decided that they would probably run smoother if lessons were actually thought about and prepared in advance. So that became the front runner of the projects.

First, I have a subscription to the FRIEND which is a magazine run and distributed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that is beneficial to children of all ages. It covers topics in regards to God, Family, Church, Missionaries, Fun Family Ideas, Goals, Recipes, Kids Around The World, Art, Scriptures, Songs, Morals, Values, Holidays, Etc. My boys love it! I like that the subscription is ridiculously inexpensive and is good for a YEAR! You can get your own subscription here: http://lds.org/friend?lang=eng

Second, I'm a declutter kinda gal and don't want extra magazine pile up if I don't have to. So after the boys are done reading the Friend each month I go through it page by page and remove stories, pictures, scriptures and other information I think would be great to re-emphasize during a FHE lesson. Then I trim down the sheets to remove torn edges and/or staple/binding marks. I can get anywhere between 4 to10 things from any ONE magazine...so its an excellent source for lessons, talks, scriptures, etc.

Third, I cut out different images, games, etc that are provided in the magazine or sometimes I make up my own (creating, coloring, velcro-ing, glue-ing, etc) and then laminate the sheets and pieces to help them last longer. I have a personal size 8x10 laminator that I used but if you don't have a laminator places like Lakeshore Learning, Office Max, Office Depot, Staples or most Office supply stores can do them for you for a relatively inexpensive price.


About 6 months ago I went through my filing cabinet that houses our paid bills and eliminated some excess files and found that I could condense down from two drawers to one. The one drawer has been completely empty until I jumped on my FHE project and I decided to use that drawer to store my lessons that I had recently made. So...

Fourth, I purchased some recycled hanging files & folders (recycled = cheaper, so use what you have....but if don't have any you can find some good deals/coupons for office supply stores that do) I typed up labels using topics that the lessons were on and put them on the files. I alphabetized the files so its easier to find (and put back) my lessons when I need them. It also helps my husband and kids find what they're looking for. Organizing them with labels makes finding talk material, visual aids, primary lessons/games/visuals, etc a lot easier too! This method helps the BOYS give lessons as well! Not just Mom and Dad! I like that! It gives them the opportunity to work on public speaking and confidence in knowing that they can present material/lessons for us to enjoy.


And Fifth, after my bin was ready (and after a pit stop with some popcorn and Dr. Pepper) I sorted my lessons, pictures, topics, scriptures, etc and filed them away! Now when Monday comes around I can grab a lesson and go without added stress or searching! LOVE it!!


Some of you may have noticed that my label for this post included "gifts". That's because FHE lessons are a GREAT Christmas gift idea to give any family! Its extra work but easier on the pocketbook! Think about it...you can get 12 lessons from 2 magazines and give them a lesson for each month of the year!! PLUS you'll be helping promote family nights by helping that family eliminate the stress of finding/searching for a lesson to come up with their own.

I also prefer this method because when we go on vacations (to the lake/cabin, motorhome, camping, etc) and we need a quick spiritual upliftment/lesson or scripture to read we just grab one and go! No excuses! Its easy, light weight, simple and quick. Then...back to vacationing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment